Garlic chives sprouts belong to the Amaryllidaceae family and their technical name is Allium Ampeloprasum.
Eating Garlic chives sprouts is a habit that dates back to ancient times. The first to witness its use were the Chinese more than 7000 years ago. Later, garlic chives sprouts were used for their protein and vitamin intake in the colder periods, especially by the Hunza population, who live in northern India. It is still one of the longest-lived and most resistant populations to adverse climatic conditions, but there is evidence that it was also widely used in ancient Egypt, especially during periods of flooding of the Nile. Garlic chives sprouts were also used by Roman legionaries, who kept the seeds in canvas bags in contact with the body. With the heat and humidity the seeds germinated and were used as highly energetic food that was always available even during long marches.
Garlic chives sprouts, which belong to the same family as garlic and onion, are low in saturated and monounsaturated fats, while benefiting from the benefits of polyunsaturated fats.
As regards vitamin intake, they are rich in:
- vitamin A
- Thiamine - vitamin B1
- Riboflavin - vitamin B2
- Niacin - vitamin B3
- Pantotheic acid - vitamin B5
- vitamin B6
- Folic acid - vitamin B9
- vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Regarding the supply of minerals, they contain:
They are rich in amino acids and, if stored in the light, develop a very high percentage of chlorophyll.
Garlic chives sprouts are considered a real high-profile nutritional aid due to the notable concentration of beneficial substances.
How to use Garlic chives sprouts in cooking
Garlic chives sprouts are very aromatic and have a flavor similar to that of the vegetable, they can be used in cooking in many different ways:
- certainly raw in salads, with their sweet fragrance, they will flavor any mix of vegetables and leafy greens. They will be delicious combined with soya or alfa-alfa sprouts, with boiled legumes or as fillings for raw tomatoes;
- another excellent way to use Garlic chives sprouts is to blend them with extra virgin olive oil. and obtain a sauce with which to season meat or fish;
- always blended, theGarlic chives sprouts become a tasty cooking base for sauces with which to season pasta or to cream risottos;
- precious in vegetarian cuisine, Garlic chives sprouts can be used for excellent omelettes;
- lightly blanched or pan-fried, they can become a useful base for tasty soups or purees with cereals, legumes or potatoes.
In short, whether they are the dominant flavor or an accompanying element, Garlic chives sprouts are an aid in the kitchen, because compared to the vegetable they are much more digestible and richer in nutritional elements and metabolic enzymes.
Tips: Growing Garlic chives sprouts
Growing them is simple, just follow a few tips:
- place them in plenty of water for at least 8-12 hours, to start the germination process;
- rinse the seeds well at least 2-3 times a day, remembering to drain the water well to avoid the formation of mould;
- continue the rinsing process for at least 10-12 days, but the most important tip is to taste them every day during rinsing to understand when the flavor is suited to individual taste;
- leaving them in the light during germination will favor the increase in chlorophyll, and this will mean greater digestibility, better and faster metabolisation and the prevention of halitosis phenomena.
The most valuable tip, however, is to have patience in the initial phase, because initial germination can be slow, hardly before a week has passed, so you need to be consistent in rinsing and draining several times a day to speed up the process: however, once Once your Garlic chives sprouts have started to germinate, they will provide you with a precious contribution in terms of taste and health.
A final food for thought: having Garlic chives sprouts at home means having a supply of vitamins and proteins that is always fresh even without going to the grocery store, therefore ideal for those who work outside the home.
Ottimo servizio ottimi prodotti grazie mille
Porro cinese Pucca
ottimo servizio con tempi di consegna veloci!
Porro cinese Pucca