Nutritional benefits of daikon radish microgreens
The daikon radish contains many nutrients, minerals and vitamins, including:
- vitamins A, B1, B6 and C;
- high in folic acid (vitamin B9) ;
- high in antioxidants.
Health benefits of daikon radish microgreens
- Very low calorie (only 15 calories per 100g);
- provides a natural source of vitamins and minerals for all-round nutritional support;
- diuretic properties help to regulate kidney functions; stimulates the elimination of toxins from the body;
- high in dietary fibre: aids digestion, helps to lower cholesterol, and is good for the heart. It can also reduce the risk of blocked arteries and stroke;
- helps to regulate insulin and blood sugar levels, aiding weight control and lowering the risk of heart disease and Type 2 diabetes;
- excellent anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties;
- supports digestion through promoting the production of gastric juices: can be effective in treating constipation and dysentery;
- a natural fat burner: is often used in slimming diets;
- daikon radish promotes liver function and health;
- helps to dissolve bronchial catarrh;
- rich in vitamin C: helps the body to absorb the iron in food;
- high in antioxidants: help fight free radicals and lower the risk of cancer;
- strengthens the immune system;
- it is an excellent anti-inflammatory and is ideal for relieving arthritic pain;
- it promotes skeletal system: reduces the risk of osteoporosis;
- promotes eye health;
- can reduce the risk of tumours, thanks to the presence of antioxidants and ascorbic acid;
- supports hydration: 100 g of radish contain 95.6 g of water!
- folic acid promotes cardiovascular health and helps to prevent cardiovascular disease.
Taste and use
Unlike the potent peppery taste of red radishes, the daikon radish has a mildly spicy, crisp and slightly sweet flavour.
The microgreen also has slight sweet and spicy hints. It is extremely juicy and for this reason it can become a natural ingredient in a range of dishes, including sandwiches, rice and pasta dishes.