Nutritional benefits of mizuna green microgreens
The green mizuna plants is exceptionally rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, including:
- vitamins A, C and K;
- folic acid (vitamin B9);
Health benefits of green mizuna microgreens
- Antioxidant properties help fight free radicals and lower the risk of cancer;
- provides a natural source of vitamins and minerals for all-round nutritional support;
- high vitamin K and iron content promotes blood coagulation and helps to prevent clots;
- high vitamin K also strengthens the immune system and promotes healthy and strong bones and teeth;
- vitamin C also supports the immune system;
- contributes to the prevention of cardiovascular disease;
- can help to reduce hypertension – reduced calorie intake;
- very low calorie – can help to control weight.
Taste and use of mizuna microgreens
Green mizuna is a versatile vegetable as it can be eaten raw or cooked.
It grows quickly, which means it can be grown and consumed all-year round. It is has a slightly bitter taste, similar to rocket. Younger leaves typically have a milder flavour and so are ideally suitable for use in fresh salads, especially during the summer.
Mature leaves have a more intense flavour and can be eaten in salads and in other dishes.
In cooking, mizuna can be added to vegetables and meat dishes.
It is also great with omelets or sautéed with other vegetables.
Not surprisingly given its Japanese origins, mizuna features in many Asian recipes.
Mizuna’s bitter flavour pairs well with many meat and fish dishes.
It goes well with eggs and fresh cheeses, and is ideal for mixing with other ingredients for savoury pie fillings.